Leukonychia – We survive in a world where looking good is not only a matter of aesthetics but also of self-esteem. White spots on the nails have been a concern for both women and men.
What Is Leukonychia?
Perhaps you have noticed the appearance of some white spots, and then with the passing of days, you realize that they are no longer there. It is scientifically called Leukonychia, but it is more than a disease; it is a sign that occurs due to the lack of keratin in the nails.
Why Are White Spots On The Nails?
The nails are composed of keratin and amino acids, which allow their growth and hardening.
Now, the nails are made up of different layers, which is why when we suffer a blow or expose the nail to some action for a long time, air bubbles tend to form between these layers, which end up in the appearance of those annoying spots.
On the other hand, there are other causes for which these spots appear, such as
- A deficit in food or a very aggressive diet, not consuming foods rich in folic acid, iron, vitamin B12, zinc, and calcium, among others.
- They were biting nails and cuticles or cutting them a lot.
- Constant tapping on the nails, typing very hard on the computer keyboard.
- Effective treatments, such as chemotherapy.
- Hormonal alterations.
- Allergies to certain substances, perhaps without knowing it, the nail polish is causing a problem or maybe the cleaning products.
- The consequence of other pathologies. Conditions such as psoriasis, anemia, tuberculosis, kidney disease, or the appearance of nail fungus can cause white spots on the nails.
Can Leukonychia Be Removed?
Keep in mind that a certified treatment has not yet been found that quickly removes nail stains and thus improves their aesthetics since these usually disappear on their own.
Because one of the causes of white spots on the nails is a diet deficient in minerals and vitamins, it is recommended to supply the body with calcium, iron, zinc, and vitamin B12, which can be obtained from foods such as milk, and meat, red, strawberries, etc.
Home Remedies To Remove White Spots On Nails
You can use natural alternatives to provide treatment for white spots on nails.
- Tea tree oil can reduce the appearance of white spots on the nails. However, you must file the nail a little and apply a few drops every night.
- Take jojoba oil, apricot kernel oil, almond oil, and a vitamin E capsule, mix everything, and apply it to your nails every morning and night. Not only will you bring your nails back to life, but they will also make them a little more challenging.
- Rub a slice of lemon and let the juice begin to act for about 30 min. It helps because this fruit contains abundant vitamin C.
- Submerge in white vinegar and water. Doing this at least four times a week can reduce blemishes.
How To Avoid Stains On The Nails?
- Regardless of everything, the nails adorn our hands, and we want them to look good. So here we share some recommendations to avoid or reduce the appearance of white nail spots.
- Avoid blows to the nails and control anxiety. Constant hitting can cause this symptom; at the same time, nail biting can signify stress.
- Stay Hydrated – Water is an excellent ally for the health of the body; you can make your nails healthy.
- Hygiene – Dirty nails produce fungi, and fungi bring stains that disfigure the hands.
- Good Nutrition – Try to maintain a balanced diet. You can use food supplements that provide you with the minerals you need.
It is not a grave condition, but it can be considered an aesthetic problem. This problem can stop the growth of the nails for a short time and can be caused by some physical or emotional condition. It can even be due to constant stress or extreme contact with the cold.